Friday, January 2, 2015

Of Swords and Silicone

Last night was my day off, and I managed to get in some painting and a new project.

Alas, not a new army theme, but a way to cast molds of those hard to come by bits.

A quick trip to one of the local craft stores to get some plasticard (styrene) sheets to build my drop pod with, and I quickly found out two interesting things.

1)  There appears to be a lack of styrene in pretty much every hobby store in town.

2)  The big local game store had a mold and resin kit for sale.

I've seen the kits online before, but they are not present when I go to buy in the store.  So I grabbed it while I had the chance, and went home to cast some molds.

I figured I'd cast two halves of each othe special weapons I wanted to have, and a couple bitz I'm running short of.  I'm also going to cast any sprues I get in the mean time.  The mold finally cured this morning, and I made a couple test grav guns, which were kinda of flimsy but okay.  Seems my mix was off because they took almost an hour to set.  I'll have to work on that.

I also managed to finish my D&D 5th edition dragonborn model, Whipthorn Icescale.  I also attempted my first freehand on his shield, and I think it turned out well!


No comments:

Post a Comment