Tuesday, December 16, 2014

New Ideas Abound!

So I haven't been sleeping well, and it's forced me to the bench where my models are stacking up.  Over the past few nights, I've built about 20 bikes in total, and took apart about as many other models to gather bits and pieces to fill in Khuster's Cav.

The Tau formation list is pretty solid, but it leaves me with a huge bubble I have to work around, and given my history with terrain and movement in the past (I hate Vanguard deployment), I don't want to cripple my army further.  So I've been putting the list options through their paces, and nothing seems to be working well.

After reading a few billion battle reports, I really like the "deathstar" unit for White Scars (my understanding being that it consists of Khan stuffed into a command squad of storm shields with an apothecary, stuffed into a duck, or something like that) so I made a list with two HQs to be stuffed into identical Command Squads with storm shields and meltaguns.  And of course an apothecary in each.

I tried the unit out in the most brutal way possible.  I ran them into the open area where nearly all of an 1850 point Eldar army could see them.  1 bike lived, and considering how impressive that result was, I decided to keep them.

So knowing how tough they were, why would you not put two of those in the army?  You can survive some of the toughest shooting and assaults with the storm shields, and having FNP is pretty badass as well.  Plus, Hammer of Wrath, and either Khan with his instant death on 6s, or a suped up Libby with Iron Arm, and you're in for a fun fight on bikes.

But what if I wanted to have three of them?

Having played many opponents (and learned a lot each time I lost) I find that three high priority targets tends to be about the perfect mix to have on the field.  It forces your opponent to focus on more than one unit in your army, and with the mix of objectives, table specific rules, and tactical VPs, it's almost an overload for any opponent.

So I'm going to take the new list and play a few games, and see how potent 3 "deathstars" units can be...

No comments:

Post a Comment